In the realm of breakfast delights, the Spinach and Broccoli Breakfast Bread Pudding is a testament to the outflow of health and indulgence. This flavorful creation transforms the humble bread pudding into a nutrient-packed morning revelation, weaving together the goodness of spinach, the crunch of broccoli, and the comforting allure of a classic bread pudding.
While traditional bread puddings have roots tracing back centuries, this innovative breakfast twist marries the wholesome concept with a contemporary focus on greens. The melding of spinach and broccoli not only elevates the flavour profile but also catapults this dish into the modern era of conscious dining.
1 loaf of whole-grain bread
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup broccoli florets, finely diced
8 large eggs
2 cups milk (preferably whole milk)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
Knife and cutting board
Prepare the Bread:
- Start by removing the crust from the whole-grain bread and cut it into bite-sized cubes. Allow the cubes to air dry for about 30 minutes ,or lightly toast them in the oven.
Saute the Greens:
- In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped spinach and diced broccoli, cooking until they’re just wilted. Set aside.
Whisk the Egg Mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Ensure a smooth and well-combined mixture.
Assemble the Layers:
- Grease a baking dish and layer half of the bread cubes at the bottom. Spread half of the sauteed greens over the bread, followed by half of the shredded cheddar and Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers.
Pour the Egg Mixture:
- Carefully pour the egg mixture over the layered ingredients, ensuring an even distribution.
Let it Soak:
- Allow the bread pudding to sit for at least 30 minutes, allowing the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
Preheat and Bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake the bread pudding for approximately 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Let the breakfast bread pudding cool for a few minutes before serving. Cut into generous squares and relish in the green-infused goodness.
This Spinach and Broccoli Breakfast Bread Pudding transcends the ordinary, offering a vibrant start to your day with a symphony of flavors and a hearty dose of nutrients. Delight in this fusion of tradition and innovation, and embark on a culinary journey that’s as nourishing as it is delicious.