Potatoes au Gratin, with their layers of creamy, cheesy goodness, have been a beloved comfort food for generations. Traditionally, this dish required a lot of oven time, but we’re here to introduce a modern twist by making Creamy Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin. Using your trusty Instant Pot, you can have this delectable side dish on the table in a fraction of the time. So, let’s dive into the recipe and explore the history of this classic dish along the way.
The origins of Potatoes Au Gratin can be traced back to France, where gratin dishes have been popular for centuries. “Gratin” refers to a culinary technique where a dish is topped with breadcrumbs or cheese and then browned, creating a delightful, crispy crust. Potatoes were a staple in French cuisine, and this recipe likely emerged as a way to elevate this humble root vegetable into something elegant and delicious.
Step 1: Prepare the Instant Pot.
- Start by setting your Instant Pot to the “Sauté” mode. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
Step 2: Make the Roux.
- Sprinkle the flour into the melted butter and whisk continuously for about 1-2 minutes until the mixture turns a light golden color. This creates a roux that will thicken the sauce.
Step 3: Add the Cream and Seasonings.
- Pour in the heavy cream and whisk until well combined with the roux.
- Stir in the minced garlic, salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes to infuse the flavors.
Step 4: Layer the Potatoes.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Layer half of the thinly sliced potatoes evenly at the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Pour half of the creamy sauce over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle half of the Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses over the sauce.
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining potatoes, sauce, and cheese.
Step 5: Pressure Cook.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil, ensuring it’s well-sealed.
- Place a trivet or steamer rack into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water.
- Carefully lower the covered casserole dish onto the trivet.
Step 6: Pressure Cook.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set it to “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode for 20 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is up, perform a quick release of pressure by carefully turning the valve to “Venting.”
Step 7: Finish Under the Broiler.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Remove the foil from the casserole and place it in the oven under the broiler for about 3-5 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
Step 8: Serve and Garnish.
- Carefully remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves if desired.
- Serve your Creamy Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin hot and enjoy the creamy, cheesy goodness!
Creamy Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin offers a convenient and delicious way to enjoy a classic comfort dish in a fraction of the time. With the rich history of gratin dishes originating in France, this recipe pays homage to tradition while embracing modern cooking techniques. So, the next time you crave the creamy, cheesy, and indulgent goodness of Potatoes Au Gratin, turn to your Instant Pot for a satisfying and flavorful experience.