Pad Thai is a delicious and flavorful dish that combines stir-fried rice noodles with a variety of ingredients, including vegetables, meat or shrimp, and peanuts. The combination of sweet, salty, and sour flavors makes it a popular dish in Thai cuisine.
Rating – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Prep-Time – 30 minutes Serving-Size – 4 people
- 8 oz. dried rice noodles
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. chicken, shrimp, or tofu (cut into small pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. palm sugar
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (optional)
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Soak the rice noodles in warm water for 15-20 minutes, or until they are soft and pliable. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tamarind paste, fish sauce, palm sugar, and chili powder (if using) until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, shrimp, or tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Push the chicken, shrimp, or tofu to one side of the wok and add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs until they are cooked through, then mix them with the chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
- Add the noodles to the wok and toss to combine with the chicken, shrimp, or tofu and eggs.
- Add the tamarind mixture to the wok and toss to coat the noodles and other ingredients.
- Add the bean sprouts, scallions, cilantro, and peanuts and toss to combine.
- Divide the pad Thai among four plates and garnish with lime
Relevant Notes & Tips:
- Use a high-quality tamarind paste for the best flavor.
- Don’t overcook the noodles or they will become mushy.
- Customize the dish with your favorite vegetables, such as bell peppers or carrots.
- Adjust the amount of chili powder to your desired level of spiciness.
- Garnish the dish with additional cilantro and chopped peanuts for extra flavor and texture.