Couscous, often dubbed the “fast food of the Middle East,” is a versatile and quick-to-cook grain. In this delightful recipe, we take couscous to the next level by infusing it with a medley of fresh herbs and serving it alongside perfectly roasted vegetables. This dish is not only a feast for the taste buds but also a visual treat. Let’s dive into this flavorful and nutritious herb-infused couscous with roasted vegetables.
Couscous is believed to have originated in North Africa and has been a staple food in the region for centuries. It’s made from crushed and steamed wheat granules and is incredibly popular due to its ease of preparation. The art of cooking couscous has been passed down through generations, and it’s often served as a symbol of hospitality and togetherness in Middle Eastern and North African cultures.
1. Prepare the Roasted Vegetables
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash and chop the assorted vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the vegetables with olive oil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper until well coated.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup, then spread the seasoned vegetables evenly on the sheet.
- Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until they become tender and slightly caramelized. Remember to give them a gentle toss halfway through for even cooking.
2. Prepare the Herb-Infused Couscous
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the couscous and stir for 2-3 minutes, allowing it to toast slightly and absorb the flavors.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth, stirring continuously.
- Once the broth comes to a boil, cover the saucepan with a lid and remove it from the heat.
- Let the couscous sit covered for about 5 minutes, allowing it to absorb the liquid.
- After 5 minutes, use a fork to fluff the couscous, breaking up any clumps.
3. Infuse with Fresh Herbs
- Gently fold in the chopped parsley, cilantro, and mint into the cooked couscous. These fresh herbs will infuse the couscous with a burst of flavor and vibrant color.
- Season the couscous with salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil for added richness.
4. Assemble the Dish
- Once the roasted vegetables are ready, remove them from the oven.
- Spoon the herb-infused couscous onto a serving platter or individual plates.
- Arrange the roasted vegetables on top of the couscous.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs for a burst of color and flavor.
5. Serve and Enjoy!
- This herb-infused couscous with roasted vegetables is best enjoyed immediately. Serve it as a delightful side dish or add grilled chicken or tofu for a complete meal. The combination of fluffy couscous, roasted vegetables, and the aromatic herb infusion is sure to impress your taste buds.
This Herb-Infused Couscous with Roasted Vegetables is a harmonious blend of flavors and textures, showcasing the culinary heritage of North Africa and the Middle East. With the aromatic infusion of fresh herbs, the nutty texture of couscous, and the caramelized sweetness of roasted vegetables, this dish is a treat for the senses. It’s not only visually appealing but also a nutritious and satisfying addition to any meal. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or looking for a quick weeknight dinner, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your culinary repertoire. Enjoy the vibrant flavors and cultural richness of this delightful dish!