Introduction: Corn on the cob is a beloved summer treat that brings back memories of backyard barbecues and warm evenings spent with friends and family. While grilling or boiling corn on the cob is a traditional approach, there’s a quicker and equally delicious way to enjoy this sweet and savory dish – by using your microwave. In this article, we’ll walk you through the simple steps to prepare microwave corn on the cob with herb butter, a delightful twist on a classic favorite.
Historical Context: Corn, often referred to as maize, has been a staple food for indigenous peoples in the Americas for thousands of years. It was introduced to Europe by Christopher Columbus upon his return from the New World, and from there, it spread worldwide. In the United States, corn became an integral part of the diet, especially in the Midwest, where it was grown abundantly. Today, corn on the cob is enjoyed in various forms across the globe, but its nostalgic charm remains timeless.
1. Prepare the Herb Butter:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, finely chopped fresh herbs, and minced garlic (if desired).
- Season the mixture with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Use a whisk or fork to thoroughly blend all the ingredients together. Set aside.
2. Prepare the Corn:
- Husk the fresh corn and remove any remaining silk strands.
- If necessary, trim the ends of the corn to fit your microwave-safe plate.
- Rinse the corn under cold water to remove any debris.
3. Arrange the Corn:
- Place the prepared corn ears on a microwave-safe plate. Ensure they are evenly spaced and not touching each other.
4. Microwave the Corn:
- Cover the plate of corn with microwave-safe plastic wrap or a microwave-safe lid. This will help create a steamy environment for cooking.
- Microwave the corn on high for about 5-6 minutes per ear of corn. The exact time may vary depending on your microwave’s wattage, so it’s best to start with 5 minutes and check for doneness. The kernels should be tender when pierced with a fork.
5. Rest and Serve:
- Carefully remove the plate from the microwave using oven mitts or a towel, as it will be hot.
- Allow the corn to rest for a minute or two before handling, as it will be steaming hot.
- Using a butter knife or a small spoon, generously spread the herb butter over each ear of corn while it’s still warm. The heat will melt the butter and infuse the corn with delightful flavors.
6. Serve and Enjoy:
- Place the herb-buttered corn on a serving platter and garnish with extra chopped herbs, if desired.
- Serve immediately and savor the delicious blend of sweet corn and aromatic herb butter.
Conclusion: Microwave corn on the cob with herb butter is a convenient and flavorful way to enjoy this classic summer treat. The microwave locks in the natural sweetness of the corn while the herb butter adds a burst of fresh, aromatic flavors. Whether you’re hosting a barbecue, enjoying a family dinner, or simply craving a taste of summer, this recipe is sure to satisfy your corn cravings in no time. So, fire up that microwave and savor the taste of summer, one bite at a time.