Introduction: Strawberry shortcake, with its light, fluffy layers of sweet biscuit, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream, is a beloved dessert that embodies the essence of summer. Its origins can be traced back to Europe in the 16th century, but it truly found its home in the United States in the 19th century when strawberries became more widely available. In this article, we’ll explore how to create a mouthwatering strawberry shortcake that will leave your taste buds in a state of berry bliss. This classic dessert is perfect for any summer gathering or a delightful treat on any day you crave a taste of sunshine.
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Prepare the Strawberry Filling 2. In a mixing bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Toss gently to coat the strawberries in the sugar mixture. Set aside to let the strawberries macerate while you prepare the biscuits.
Step 3: Make the Biscuit Dough 3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cubed cold butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the whole milk and vanilla extract. Stir until the dough comes together.
Step 4: Shape the Biscuits 6. Turn the biscuit dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead it a few times to bring it together.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a round cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out individual biscuits and place them on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
Step 5: Bake the Biscuits 9. Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
Step 6: Whip the Cream 11. In a separate mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
Step 7: Assemble the Strawberry Shortcake 12. Once the biscuits have cooled, carefully split them in half horizontally.
- Spoon a generous portion of the macerated strawberries onto the bottom half of each biscuit.
- Top the strawberries with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
- Place the other half of the biscuit on top.
Step 8: Serve and Enjoy 16. Transfer the assembled strawberry shortcakes to a serving platter or cake stand.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy the delightful blend of sweet, juicy strawberries, tender biscuits, and luscious whipped cream.
Conclusion: Strawberry shortcake, a timeless dessert, is a testament to the simple pleasures of fresh, seasonal ingredients. This recipe allows you to capture the essence of summer in each bite. With its flaky biscuits, ripe strawberries, and billowy whipped cream, your strawberry shortcake will surely be a crowd-pleaser at any gathering. So, go ahead and indulge in the berry bliss of this mouthwatering dessert that’s as delightful to make as it is to eat.