In the world of mixology, classic cocktails hold a special place. These timeless libations have stood the test of time, enchanting our taste buds and taking us on a journey through the pages of history. One such gem is the “Corpse Reviver #2,” a vintage cocktail that has found its way back into the spotlight, thanks to the revival of craft cocktails. This exquisite elixir is a blend of gin, Lillet Blanc, Cointreau, and a touch of absinthe, creating a symphony of flavors that will awaken your senses.
The Corpse Reviver #2 has a storied history, dating back to the early 20th century. It was first published in the iconic “Savoy Cocktail Book” by Harry Craddock in 1930. The cocktail was created as a remedy for the morning after a night of indulgence, aptly named for its alleged ability to “revive” even the weariest of souls.
During the dark days of Prohibition in the United States, cocktails like the Corpse Reviver #2 became increasingly popular. People were seeking inventive ways to mask the taste of bootlegged spirits, and this concoction provided a clever disguise. Over time, it faded into relative obscurity, only to be rediscovered and celebrated by the craft cocktail movement in recent years.
- Chill Your Glass: Begin by placing your cocktail glass in the freezer or filling it with ice to chill while you prepare the cocktail.
- Measure Ingredients: Using a jigger, measure out 1 ounce each of gin, Lillet Blanc, Cointreau, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Ensure accuracy in your measurements for a perfectly balanced drink.
- Shake it Up: Fill your cocktail shaker with ice, adding the measured ingredients. Seal the shaker and give it a vigorous shake for about 10-15 seconds. This not only chills the ingredients but also ensures proper dilution.
- Absinthe Rinse: Now, for a touch of mystique and flavor, take your chilled cocktail glass and give it an absinthe rinse. You can do this by either using an absinthe rinse atomizer or pouring a small amount of absinthe into the glass, swirling it around to coat the interior, and discarding any excess.
- Strain and Garnish: Using a cocktail strainer, carefully strain the chilled cocktail into your prepared glass. The absinthe rinse should impart a subtle, enchanting aroma as you pour. Garnish with a twist of orange peel, expressing the oils over the surface of the drink for an enticing aroma.
- Sip and Savor: Your Corpse Reviver #2 is now ready to be enjoyed. Take a moment to admire its golden hue and inhale the citrusy, herbal notes. Take a sip and let the harmonious blend of flavors transport you to a bygone era.
The Corpse Reviver #2, with its fascinating history and complex flavor profile, is a testament to the enduring allure of classic cocktails. This vintage gem, once hidden in the annals of mixology, has made a triumphant comeback, enchanting modern-day cocktail enthusiasts with its timeless charm. As you savor this revival of a bygone era, you become part of a lineage of cocktail connoisseurs who appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship that go into every glass. So, raise your Corpse Reviver #2, and toast to the past, the present, and the endless possibilities of mixology. Cheers!