This tender quick bread is swirled with a luscious ribbon of sweetened cream cheese that melds beautifully with the pumpkin. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves add comforting warmth and spice flavor.
With just a bowl, a few pantry staples, and 15 minutes, you can have this gorgeous loaf ready for the oven. The streusel topping adds a delightful finishing crunch. Read on for my full recipe!
Here are some Equipment needed for this recipe:
Prep the Pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8”x4” loaf pan. Line with parchment paper along bottom and up the sides.
Make the Batters
Pumpkin Bread Batter
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, pie spice, ginger, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
Cream Cheese Swirl
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth.
Assemble and Bake
- Pour half the bread batter into prepared pan.
- Dollop spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture over batter.
- Cover with remaining batter. Use a knife to swirl and marbleize.
- In a small bowl, use your fingers to mix streusel ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake 55-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Remove loaf from pan after 15 minutes.
- Store completely cooled bread tightly wrapped at room temperature for up to one week.
- For longer storage, wrap in plastic then foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Slice pumpkin bread and top with cream cheese, butter, or mascarpone.
- Make a bread pudding by cubing leftover bread and baking with custard.
- Toast slices and serve with tea or as a breakfast treat.
Customizing Your Bread
- For chocolate pumpkin bread, add 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips to the batter.
- For pecan pumpkin bread, fold in 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pecans.
- For spice pumpkin bread, add 1⁄4 teaspoon each nutmeg and cloves.
- Swirl with salted caramel or hazelnut spread instead of cream cheese.
- Top with cinnamon pecans instead of streusel before baking.