Introduction: Of course, let’s delve into the world of brunch delights with this savory Spinach and Feta Quiche. This versatile dish is a true showstopper, perfect for entertaining guests or enjoying a lazy weekend morning with your loved ones. Combining the earthy notes of spinach and the tangy creaminess of feta cheese, this quiche offers a balanced and delicious flavor profile that will leave your taste buds dancing.
Historical Tidbits: The quiche, originally from Germany, gained popularity in France during the 19th century and became a beloved staple of French cuisine. Its name is derived from the German word “kuchen,” meaning cake. Over the years, quiche has evolved, and it’s now a worldwide favorite, embraced in many different forms.
- Preheat the Oven Begin by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C). This will ensure that your quiche bakes evenly.
- Prepare the Pie Crust If you’re using a store-bought pie crust, follow the package instructions for pre-baking. If you’re making your own crust, roll it out and press it into the pie dish. Line the crust with aluminum foil and add pie weights or dried beans to prevent it from puffing up while baking. Bake the crust for about 15 minutes or until it’s lightly golden. Remove the foil and weights, and set it aside.
- Sauté the Spinach and Onions In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion and cook until it becomes translucent, which should take about 5 minutes. Then, add the chopped spinach and sauté for another 3-4 minutes until it wilts. Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- Prepare the Quiche Filling In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, whole milk, heavy cream, salt, black pepper, and ground nutmeg. Whisk until well combined.
- Assemble the Quiche Spread the sautéed spinach and onions evenly over the pre-baked pie crust. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese on top of the spinach mixture.
- Pour in the Egg Mixture Carefully pour the egg mixture over the spinach, onions, and feta. Ensure that it’s evenly distributed.
- Bake to Perfection Place the quiche in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the center is set, and the top is golden brown. To check if it’s done, insert a knife or toothpick into the center; if it comes out clean, your quiche is ready.
- Let it Rest Once out of the oven, let the quiche rest for a few minutes. This allows the filling to settle.
- Serve and Enjoy Slice the quiche into wedges and serve it warm. It’s fantastic as the star of your brunch spread, but it can also be enjoyed for lunch or dinner with a side salad.
This savory Spinach and Feta Quiche is a classic that never goes out of style. With a flaky crust and a luscious, creamy filling, it’s the perfect balance of flavors and textures. Whether you’re hosting a brunch gathering or simply indulging in a leisurely weekend meal, this quiche is sure to be a hit. Bon appétit!