Tomato soup, a beloved classic in the world of comfort food, has been cherished for generations. Its vibrant red hue, rich flavor, and heartwarming aroma have a way of invoking cherished memories of cozy family meals and rainy days by the fireplace. But why stick to the same old routine when you can elevate this comforting classic? In this article, we’ll explore the art of preparing Slow-Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Soup—a modern twist on the timeless favorite. This recipe combines the convenience of a slow cooker with the freshness of basil and the indulgence of cream, resulting in a velvety soup that’s perfect for any occasion. Let’s dive into the world of flavors, textures, and history as we embark on this culinary journey.
- Start by finely chopping the onion and mincing the garlic.
- Peel and chop the carrot and celery.
- Open the cans of whole peeled tomatoes and set them aside.
- Measure out the dried basil, dried oregano, and salt and pepper, placing them within easy reach.
- Heat a skillet or pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, carrot, and celery to the pan. Sauté them until they become tender and fragrant, usually taking about 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the sautéed vegetables to your slow cooker.
- Add the cans of whole peeled tomatoes, along with their juice.
- Stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, bay leaf, and vegetable broth.
- Set your slow cooker to low heat and let the ingredients simmer for about 4 hours.
- Once the soup has slow-cooked to perfection, remove the bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup directly in the slow cooker until it’s smooth and creamy. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender, but be sure to let it cool slightly before blending to avoid splattering.
- Return the blended soup to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the heavy cream to create that signature creamy texture.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Remember, the amount of salt needed can vary depending on the saltiness of your vegetable broth.
- While the soup is keeping warm in the slow cooker, it’s time to make the perfect accompaniment: grilled cheese croutons.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place a slice of cheddar cheese between two slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and grill each sandwich until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Once done, slice each sandwich into bite-sized croutons.
- Ladle the creamy tomato basil soup into bowls.
- Garnish each bowl with fresh basil leaves for a burst of color and added aroma.
- Serve the soup hot, accompanied by the grilled cheese croutons for dipping or crumbling over the soup.
Slow-Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is a contemporary twist on a classic comfort food, offering the same heartwarming flavors with a touch of elegance. By utilizing the convenience of a slow cooker, this recipe streamlines the cooking process while ensuring a deep, well-developed flavor. The addition of fresh basil and creamy indulgence takes this soup to the next level, making it a crowd-pleaser for all seasons. Whether enjoyed as a cozy weeknight dinner or served at an elegant gathering, this soup is bound to become a cherished favorite in your repertoire. So, fire up your slow cooker and get ready to savor the comfort and flavor of this modern classic.